Pantene Beautiful Lengths encourages women (and men) to grow, cut, and donate their hair to make real hair wigs for women who have lost their hair due to cancer treatments. Pantene recognizes that woman's healthy hair is an incredible instrument of self-expression, defining her self-image in a way that almost no other physical attribute can.
Pantene's partnership with HairUWear® to create the wigs for the Beautiful Lengths program.
Grow Your Hair Out
Before you can donate, your hair has to meet Pantene's requirements. Pantene Beautiful Lengths requires a minimum of 8-inches of hair for donation. To see if your hair is long enough for donation, pull your hair back in a pony tail and measure from just above your pony tail holder to the tip of the ends of your hair. A full 8-inches is required in order to be used in the wigs made by Pantene Beautiful Lengths. Hair longer than 8" can also be donated.
Talk to Your Hairstylist
I highly recommend having a discussion with your hairstylist before you make your donation appointment. Let her know of your plans and ask her to help you find a new hairstyle that will work with your hair. Cutting 8-inches or more off your hair is going to be a big change. Your hairstylist can give you very realistic expectations on how short your hair will be when your hair is cut and what kind of styles will work best for your hair.
Choose a New Hairstyle
Before your appointment, I'd recommend that you find a hairstyle or at least have a general idea of the type of style you're looking for. you'll want to choose a style that will work with your lifestyle. Many people choose layered or stacked bob. You can also opt for a shorter style. If your hair is much longer than 8-inches, a medium length style maybe chosen.
Make the Appointment
When your hair has reached it's length, and you've gathered your courage, and found a style, call your stylist and let her know that you're ready to donate your hair. Some hairstylists offer free or reduced cost haircuts for donations.
Get the Cut
By this time you've prepared and you're ready. All you have to do is show up to your appointment and let your hairstylist do the rest. I have documented the haircut process here, if you're curious to how the process will go. Donating your long healthy hair is such a selfless act and will certainly give a woman the added courage and confidence she needs to face the day while undergoing cancer treatments.
Send Your Hair in to Pantene Beautiful Lengths
Some hair salons will happily send your hair into Pantene Beautiful Lengths for you, others will not. It's very easy to send your hair in. Simply take your ponytail, place in an envelope (I like to put it in a zip-lock bag first), and mail to Pantene Beautiful Lengths, Attn: 192-123, 43 Butterfield Trail Suite A, El Paso, TX 79906. If you would like acknowledgment for your donation remember to include your full name and return address with your hair donation.
- Hair may be colored with vegetable dyes, rinses and semi-permanent dyes. It cannot be bleached, permanently colored or chemically treated. Hair can not be permed to donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
- Hair must be in a ponytail to be donated. Hair should be freshly washed and completely dry, without any styling products. Hair that has been shaved off can not be used. If you are shaving your head, first divide it into multiple ponytails and cut it off for donation.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid. Dreadlocks, wigs, hairpieces, hair extensions and synthetic hair can not be donated.
- Curly or wavy hair CAN be straightened to measure 8-inches.
- Hair may not be more than 5% gray.
What You Need
- Patience to grow your hair out.
- Courage to cut off 8-inches of hair.
- A big heart to help a woman in need feel beautiful.
- A great stylist to help you choose a new style.
- A lot less shampoo and conditioner when you're all done.