The anticipation of a new haircut. Maybe you just go in for a trim or perhaps you decide to try a sassy new style all together. Regardless, your hopes and dreams go up in smoke when you stare in the mirror. Your worst nightmare realized. You have a bad haircut.
First Things First! Don't Panic!
Before tears flow, you pull your hair out, or assault your stylist, take a deep breath. There is likely a solution to the problem and overreacting will just make the situation tense and more difficult than necessary.
Honesty is the Best Policy
If you are not happy with your haircut, talk to your stylist about it. Discuss your concern to her while you're in the chair or, if you notice later, call her from home. Most stylists will appreciate your candor and offer to fix your haircut (usually at no additional cost). With any luck, you won't have to fire your stylist.
Own that Cut!
When the cut is just too short or unfixable it's time to just "fake it until you make it", or at least until it grows out. Again, honesty is key, so let your stylist know that it wasn't what you had in mind, but you'd like her to show you how to style your new cut into something less hideous. You may end up loving it after its styled, after all, a haircut is just a haircut until its primped and shaped into style.
Let it Grow, Let it Grow, Let it Grow
If the cut is just too short, and you can't stand it there is good news. Hair grows back! Yeah I know, not exactly what you want to hear when you've just had your hair hacked up like Edward Scissorhands. Never fear, there are a few things you can do at home to speed the growth of your hair.
- Prenatal vitamins . Prenatal vitamins have been the hair dresser's secret to speeding hair growth for years! They do wonders for hair and nail growth. They are available at your local drug store, over the counter. Take one every day. Be careful though, some people experience unwanted side effects from prenatal vitamins.
- Nioxin. Nioxin is a scalp treatment system. It is designed to help improve the health of your scalp, and one of the side effects just happens to be improved hair growth. Many of my clients also report that their hair appears thicker and healthier. Nioxin comes in shampoo, conditioner, a variety of on the scalp treatments, and vitamins. It is sold in professional beauty salons.
- Take care of yourself. You are what you eat. You will notice that your hair, skin, and nails appear healthier when you eat a well balanced diet, exercise, and stay hydrated. Of course, it never hurts to take good care of yourself, and your hair just might thank you by growing faster!
- Lay off chemical hair services. Keep your hair groomed properly and lay off the harsh chemical treatments (such as color, highlights, and perms) until your hair grows out. If you just must color your hair, try an all over demi-permanent color instead of highlights and give your hair some time before a perm. Chemicals treatments, especially highlights and perms, can cause hair breakage. By giving your hair a rest your hair will appear to grow faster because it will endure less breakage.
- Turn down the heat. As often as possible, blow your hair out instead of using a flat iron and try scrunching your hair instead of using a curling iron. Most importantly, any time you use heat on your hair, protect your hair with a heat protecting spray. The less heat damage to your hair, the less breakage your hair will endure, and the faster your hair will be allowed to grow.
- Loosen up. Say goodbye to the tight ponytails, rubber bands, tight braids, buns, etc., and keep your hair down as much as possible. If you have to tie it back, try using a thick cloth scrunchie instead of a thin rubber band or hair tie. Pulling your hair back tight can cause breakage and excess hair to break and/or fall out.
- Trim it up . Yes, even though you want your hair to grow out, it is important to get back to your stylist for regular trims every 6-8 weeks. Keeping your ends trim and neat will lessen damage and breakage to your hair and help your hair appear to grow faster.
- Strengthen your locks. The whole idea for "growing your hair faster" is really to prevent breakage. The best way to prevent breakage and split ends is to take care of your hair and give it everything it needs to be strong. Protein treatments are an excellent way to nurture your hair and improve its strength.
The average person's hair grows one-half inch per month. So, with a little tender loving care and attention, you will soon get your length back.