1. Style
Kendra Aarhus

PPD Free Hair Color? Farouk Systems Takes a Revolutionary Step in Safe Color

By February 10, 2012

Ammonia-free hair color? That's so 2011. Twenty-five years ago, Farouk Shami was the first to introduce what is now the latest craze--ammonia-free hair color. But the "CHI Man" didn't stop there. Beginning in 2012, Farouk Systems will take CHI Ionic Permanent Shine Hair Color (which happens to be the color line that I use in my salon) to the next environmental level with the introduction of the nation's first professional ammonia-free hair color formulated without Paraphenylenediamine (PPD).

PPD is a chemical substance used in permanent hair color and has been cited to produce severe allergic reactions in some clients. According to the BBC, doctors in the United Kingdom believe an allergic reaction resulting from PPD is likely the cause behind a 38 year old mother of two slipping into a coma after using a hair color believed to contain PPD. Most recently, PPD has been credited as the possible cause of multiple myeloma, acute leukemia, bladder cancer and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which has been cited as the possible cause of death for the late Jacqueline Kennedy. To eliminate these risks and ensure a safer salon atmosphere, Farouk Systems will be introducing the revamped CHI Ionic Color. The sleek packaging will call out key new ingredients, and shades/mixing instructions will be 100% compatible with existing formulas to ensure a smooth transition.

"Our mission at Farouk Systems has always been Environment, Education and Ethics" Shami, Founder and Chairman of Farouk Systems, says. "We were the first to be ammonia-free and now we are the first to formulate without PPD. Ammonia harms hairdressers and their clients. PPD harms hairdressers and their clients. Farouk Systems does not harm hairdressers or their patrons. We are proud to be the leaders in creating environmentally safer beauty products."

In my recent research of PPD, I've discovered that allergic sensitivity can come out of nowhere. Reports indicate that some people reacted to PPD in hair color, even though they've colored their hair multiple times in the past. Different brands of hair color contain different levels of PPD, which could provide an answer to part of the puzzle. While I've personally never experienced an allergic reaction in myself or one of my clients, It's always a risk. I'm thrilled to learn that Farouk Systems is developing a safer hair color, and I'll be sure to report my review on the new color when it's available.

More State of the Art Products from Farouk

Comments

March 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(1) LISA ANDERSON says:

WHEN WILL THE PPD FREE CHI COLOR BE AVALIBLE? PLS. LET ME KNOW THE DATE. THANK YOU.

April 9, 2012 at 9:49 am
(2) Carol H says:

The distributor in our area is providing no service, irregular supply availability–I want to order direct–I am a original sunglitz user and educator from 1986/87 and chi permant color user when it first launched. The current distributor sold to Loreal so I am stuck with terrible service

April 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm
(3) womenshair says:

I’m not sure if ordering directly is possible, but can you order from another distributor? I’d advise going to http://www.farouk.com and checking out other distributors in the area or contacting Farouk through their website. Best of luck.

April 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm
(4) Patti Chapman says:

I am now using PPD free color, by farouk. Contact me at pattichapman.fl@.com . I am in Ocoee, FL . MY phone number is 407-538-6826

May 24, 2012 at 10:44 am
(5) Joanne Raio says:

My Name is Joanne Raio and I am a FAROUK SYSTEMS EDUCATOR in the Tri-State are. I am also the Salon Owner of Raio’s Salon & Spa in Oakhurst, NJ. My Salon only uses FAROUK SYSTEMS, USA Products because they are Ammonia-Free, and now PPD Free! Thank you so much Farouk Shami for your 25 years of dedication to keeping Cosmetologist and their clients safe with your dedication to ETHICS, ENVIRONMENT & EDUCATION. Make an appointment and receive a 20% discount with mention of this site.

August 15, 2012 at 12:22 pm
(6) Chris says:

Have any of your clients with PPD allergies tried it? What were their reactions?

August 24, 2012 at 10:54 am
(7) womenshair says:

I honestly do not have any clients, to my knowledge, with a PPD allergy.

August 31, 2012 at 7:50 pm
(8) Denise says:

I hv a severe PPD allergy and am now graying. Where can I purchase? Or any salons in the central nj area that utilize/

December 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm
(9) Cam says:

Be very very careful. I have severe PPD allergy. I showed my allergist a box with the ingredients list on and there were many ingredients there that still meant PPD… and its related products!

My hair dresser then told me it could have been old packaging – which is possible but I would need to see the ingredients list to know for sure… Dont just try it without checking it out further please!

My allergist told me to try Grecian 2000 Lotion

December 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(10) Cam says:

Joanne Raio….. can you send me a list of the ingredients from the product so I can see. The allergist I saw is a top specialist in my country… I cant take risks as its so serious for me…

January 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(11) Tina Lawson says:

The Grecian 2000 comment is really confusing to me, especially coming from an allergist. My Dermatologist said to never let that stuff near my hair or head since it contains lead acetate!

February 21, 2013 at 10:15 am
(12) Jonette says:

I used to get the craziest breakouts from all of this crap until I finally realized I was allergic to PPD. My Dr. recommended I try Love Your Color fro, CoSaMo and I found my panacea, Plus there is no bleach or ammonia in it either so it keeps my hair mositurized and full of volume. Hope this helps

March 22, 2013 at 8:04 pm
(13) Tori says:

Unfortunately guys, the information given is incorrect. Chi color systems claim to be PPD free however if you take a closer look at the packaging you will see in “warning” section (not ingredient section) is claims to contain “Paraphylenediamines (toluenediamines) and Resorcinol” small quantities of, however still present. I have had clients react. :(

April 13, 2013 at 4:44 pm
(14) Margaret Boyle says:

Hi think this is great news, but please don’t replace another chemical for another, other company’s have advertised PPD free on there boxes, but contain TDS another chemical that is twice as strong! And PPD suffers still react to this! If your product are free from both of these chemicals than am interested, please I would be greatfull if you could let me no when it’s avaliable! Thanks xx

May 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm
(15) Diana says:

I am a stylist that is severely allergic to ppd I had swollen hands and face and a horrible rash for almost a year. I have switched to the new chi ppd free color and I am cleared up and doing great!

June 13, 2013 at 2:55 pm
(16) Sam says:

I work for a company that created a great ppd free product! It also does not have any ammonia or peroxide so is extremely gentle for anyone with hair or scalp issues. :-) cosamo

July 1, 2013 at 8:12 am
(17) vanessa cutler says:

This message is a WARNING to people out there that can’t use PPD.
As I write this my 20yr old daughter is lying in hospital with a severe reaction to Monti Bello Oalia semi permanent hair dye.
She did a 48hr patch test and was fine as soon as she put it on her head the reaction started.
Her face and head are severly swallon she looks like a sumo wrestler, she is temporarily blind she is not responding to steriods and the swelling is moving down into her throat.
This product was purchased from our wholesalers it advertises Ammonia Free PPD free and Odour free.
We are hoping and praying for a speedy recovery

July 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm
(18) Jeanne says:

Like so many other companies, the PPD has been replaced with TDS ( toulene diamine sulfate) which can be as bad as PPD if not worse. It’s a related chemical. For anyone to promote it as being “safe” is completely irresponsible. Check out allergic to hair dye dot com.

July 20, 2013 at 3:40 am
(19) syed says:

what alternative do you use instead of PPD? Other companies eliminating PPD are using other ingredients that are supposedly less harmful

July 22, 2013 at 10:20 pm
(20) Vivi says:

This is a bold lie. There are lots of ppd free haircolors on the market and Chi is NOT the first. Especially professional lines. For over 7 years I have been using every PPD free professional line.

July 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm
(21) Chelle says:

What are some of the ppd free hair color that is safe, is permanent and doesnt make your hair feel coated? Based on next day rash reactions from salon hair color in the past I am pretty sure I am allergic to ppd. However I had a patch test done and nothing showed up in the patch test and I got a rash on face and neck. Has anyone ever heard of a reaction in a different location than the patch?

July 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm
(22) ChrisC says:

I’ve been using henna for a few years now due to ppd allergy. It’s really not a great option. No matter what, I end up with a blue/gray tint in my hair. What are some of the ppd free professional hair color brands available? Can any of them be applied over henna? Searching for a better solution. Thanks!

July 31, 2013 at 2:37 pm
(23) Dave says:

Okay – can someone please give me the TRUTH regarding these products? What brands are COMPLETELY toxic-free? I don’t care if they are permanent or semi-permanent – I just want safe coverage of gray to black hair.

September 16, 2013 at 11:23 am
(24) Sadie Lynne says:

Sally’s beauty supply has PPD-free hair color available now.

The name of the color is by ION.

Something to think about: all commercial permanent hair-color has fragrance, don’t assume you are allergic to PPD unless you have ruled out fragrance as the main culprit.

It’s kind of hard for an allergist to tell you are exclusively allergic to PPD unless they have it in concentrated form in their lab. Sometimes the fragrance can cause the same serious allergic-reactions as the rare PPD reaction.

Allergic reactions from hair color happen.

To avoid concern, use manic panic, or special effects. They are bright colors, but they do have black. They are vegan, PPD free, and fragrance-free.

IF you are that worried, do not color your hair. Some people just can’t.

There is always a price to pay for beauty. Try ION.

October 28, 2013 at 7:57 pm
(25) SD says:

I just bought ION’s new PPD free formula after I noticed a rash the last time I used permanent black on my hair. I am hoping that this will be eventfree so that I can dye my hair safely! Even if not allergic to PPD, I’d recommend going PPD free anyway! PPD is TERRIBLE for your body. It’s mostly outlawed in Europe.

November 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm
(26) stephanie says:

This is incorrect. The Wella Corporation discovered , developed and patented ammonia free color in the 80s.
Please fact check prior to publishing information like this – many companies have advancements and patents that provide superior safe products for clients and stylists. This reads like an advertisement with wrong facts in it used to scare consumers into using a brand. Not cool. And real Henna is only red , to the person who commented above that no one answered. Please research what you are using as it sounds a metallic salt based color which also is not safe.

November 22, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(27) Lyn says:

I discovered I was severely allergic to PPD..so I found 1…just one hairdresser who used the Farouk Chi colors… I was so excited…but, alas..we discovered that PPD is not the only ingredient that I was allergic too, because within 15 minutes of using this product, I had my worst reaction ever. I have dark hair and am young, and do not wish to go gray just yet..so I tried a few henna products..that left my roots green and did nothing to the rest of my hair. After some recent research, I discovered that…colors that do not have PPD, may have TDS (toulene 2.5 diamine sulfate, and PTD…I am now going to make an appt with my allergist to see if these ingredients are the culprit. By the way I have used hair colors for years with no side affects…so this is called an “adult onset allergy”. It started a few years ago, with a small rash on my neck..but within a few years, it started to affect my entire head, and most recently, rashes on many parts of my body. So please do yourself a favor, and research and ask for ALL ingredients. Good luck..and if anybody finds a product that is free of all the above mentioned ingredients…I know now that there are so many women with these same issues….and we all need a hair color that colors beautifully and is safe.

November 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm
(28) Bob says:

Chelle
My wife had a patch test and reacted in four other locations. So,yes, you may react in other locations as well. Give it some time. I have been researching all morning trying to find her an alternative. It looks as if the only real solution may be a semi-permanent dye. We will test Cosamo with a patch test .
After watching her oozing sores, ears and even the test reactions I will not let her use permanent dye. It’s just too risky.

February 18, 2014 at 4:56 am
(29) Diana says:

I love colouring my hair and I have always had great results from Henne Hair Colour which is a range of herbal hair colourants. The main ingredient is pure Henna,with other natural plant extracts to obtain different shades. Indigo is added to brown and black shades.
This product features Body Art Quality Henna, which is of the utmost importance as other “Henna” brands often contain heavy metals and other potentially harmful additives.
Recently i was getting a bit lazy as, let’s face it, henna application is time consuming,so I reverted to chemical hair dyes with reasonably good results.However I am starting to get very health concious and i am going back to Henna…If it was good enough for Queen Cleopatra and the ancient Egyptians,it is good enough for me!
Happy Hennaing everyone.

February 18, 2014 at 5:01 am
(30) diana says:

Why weren’t my recent comments posted?

February 19, 2014 at 8:52 pm
(31) Gigi says:

I am very allergic to PPD. All this nonsense about allergies to fragrance etc is very misleading. I died my hair for years until I had a reaction so severe I was hospitalized. I do not believe anything but Manic Panic or likewise is safe, and is ineffectual anyway. I will never NEVER risk my life again with dyes. I’m just too afraid. I recovered … I was lucky … Some people suffer the open oozing sores from a reaction for life. I’ll just go gray. It was too traumatic and I swear I will never suffer it again. The companies are liars, DO NOT TRUST THEM! PPD comes with other names. I won’t risk my life. Good luck if you care to!

March 6, 2014 at 8:34 am
(32) Lisa says:

I have a severe allergy to PPD. This ingredient caused burns to my scalp and face. My dermatologist had me switch to a PPD free color. It was a waste of money as it barely covered and washed out in a few shampoos. My colorist asked if I would try one more. I agreed but but was extremely nervous. I had no reaction. No itch. No burn. No rash. My hair looks younger and beautiful. I’m so happy with the CHI PPD free natural blonde color. I highly recommend.

March 9, 2014 at 12:45 am
(33) Vicky says:

I was using Hair colour dye Revlon since 35 years but suddenly got allergy. I als tried Amonia free Garnier and Loreal dyes but got very sever allergy. Got sores and itching all over scalp. Allergy specialist told me that it is reaction of PPD and recomeded me Vegetal Hair Dye which is free from PPD. Can anyone advise me whether it wiill be suitable because number of persons have written that though the product mentioned as PPD free but there is PPT OR TPD which is also very dangerous.

March 18, 2014 at 9:30 am
(34) Ann says:

There is a new color line from Canada, Calura that is PPD free. It is brand new, so locating it could be difficult. their phone number is 877.837.6426. I saw the results, it is really shiney and rich. I would really like to know the results of several patch tests. We are testing it now.

March 24, 2014 at 7:47 am
(35) Maqsoodahmad says:

I am user of Revlon color since 10 years.I faced no problem.if u have better color than tell me what’s differnts in this color.

March 27, 2014 at 9:57 am
(36) Ann says:

Calura has come out with an Ammonia & PPD FREE color and the results are beautiful. The grey coverage is excellent for an ammonia free color.

March 27, 2014 at 10:18 am
(37) Ann says:

I don’t know about Revlon color. I simply saw the results of the Calura class at Century Beauty Supply. The models are posted on their blog.
It looks good.

Ann

April 3, 2014 at 3:56 pm
(38) Farah says:

I have recently become highly allergic to hair dye. I switched to a PPD & Ammonia Free Product with no success. I still had a really bad reaction. Any advice how to cover my grays?